This is the iconic banana bread – so moist, naturally sweet from the fruit. My favorite banana bread recipe. Try not to eat all of the batter!
IMPORTANT TO NOTE: THIS RECIPE YIELDS 2 LOAVES OF BREAD. YOU CAN ALSO HALVE IT TO MAKE 1 LOAF.
- 2 cups gluten free flour
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted & cooled
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2/3 cup almond milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups fresh blueberries, washed & dried
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line 2 loaf pans with parchment paper (or spray them w coconut oil).
In a large bowl, whisk together the first 6 ingredients.
In a medium bowl, mix the mashed bananas, oil, maple syrup, milk and vanilla. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture, a little at a time and mix until just combined. Lastly, fold in the blueberries. Pour equal parts of the batter into each loaf pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning the pans halfway through. Toothpick should come out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for atleast 20 minutes and then on a cooling wrack, prior to slicing.
Yields 2 banana bread loafs.
- You can use any liquid sweetener in lieu of the maple syrup, like honey, but know that it will no longer be vegan.
- You may sub in regular all purpose flour for the gluten free – and omit the xanthan gum.
- Unsalted butter may be used instead of the coconut oil, but again, will not be vegan.
- Any milk works.
- Recipe adapted from ‘babycakes’ by Erin McKenna, cookbook.