I have been wanting to make this dish for a very long time. Verdict: I should not have waited. You can serve with some sliced avocado or some greens/salad. This is a very satisfying and healthy dish.
- 1.5 cups COOKED quinoa
- 3 large bell peppers, sliced in half, lengthwise, seeds removed
- 1 tsp olive oil (+ more later)
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey meat
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- sea salt to taste
- 2 tbs fresh mint, finely chopped
- 2.5 tbs tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium tomato, diced (optional)
- bread crumb (optional)
- shredded mexi blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- In a large skillet, heat the 1 tsp olive oil on medium high. Add to it the garlic, onion and jalapeño and sautee for a few minutes.
- Next, add the the turkey and season with the garlic powder, cumin and salt. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat and keep stirring until no longer pink, cooked through and completely minced – about 5-7 minutes.
- Then, stir in the tomato, mint, 1/2 cup of chicken broth and tomato paste. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 more minutes. Lastly, add the quinoa and combine all together.
- Drizzle your baking dish with olive oil. Then pour the remainder of the chicken broth into the dish.
- Fill each pepper halve with the meat mixture and place in your baking dish. Sprinkle each pepper top liberally with bread crumb.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and place back in oven on broil, for 1 minute or until cheese is melted.
Yields 4-6 servings.