I confidently declare this is beyond Chinese takeout. The sauce is SO amazing. Fresh ingredients do that to a dish. AND its lower in fat, calories and sodium.
Tapioca flour can be subbed with corn starch. Also, you can sub in canned pineapple for the fresh.
Serves fantastic with rice or quinoa. Pour some of this sauce over it all – nothing better.
- 1 lb chicken breast, sliced into chunks
- 6 tsp tapioca flour
- 1 tsp + 1 tbs low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp + 1.5 tbs sesame oil (or any veg oil)
- 1/3 cup Annie’s Organic ketchup
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup fresh pineapple, chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 sml green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 sml red bell pepper, chopped
- optional garnish: sesame seeds
Place the raw chicken chunks into a medium bowl and combine with 4 tsp tapioca flour, 1 tsp liquid aminos and 1 tsp sesame oil. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining tapioca flour and soy sauce with the ketchup, sugar and cider vinegar. Set aside.
In a large non stick pan, heat the 1.5 tbs sesame oil over medium high. Add chicken and cook for 2 minutes on each side, turning only once, until golden brown. Add the ginger and stir for 30 seconds. Add the pineapple and peppers and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Lastly, add the sauce mixture and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute and remove from heat. Serves well with rice or quinoa.
Yields 4 servings.