A slightly healthier spin on the traditional turtle cookie.. but ultimately it is the holidays guys – let’s enjoy this one. And they are definitely amazing.. between the chocolate, caramel and pecans — you are in heaven.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temp.
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 5 oz. caramels, chopped
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped raw pecans
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a mini muffin pan with coconut oil or use mini muffin cups.. I prefer and recommend the latter (the cups).
In a large bowl, using an electric hand mixer, combine the butter and sugar until fully incorporated and fluffy. Add the baking powder and soda and mix (scraping down the sides). Add the eggs and vanilla and mix until just combined. Then, add the flours, 1/2 cup at a time, and mix until combined.
Fold in the oats using a rubber spatula. Lastly, fold in the caramel, chocolate chips and pecans. Form your dough into 1.5 inch balls and place them in the cups or directly into muffin pan – flatten them out slightly. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on top. Allow to fully cool before enjoying.
Yields 25-30 cookie cups.
- If you want to make these into regular/traditional cookies, be forewarned, the caramels will melt on you. The best way to do it, is to leave them out of the dough, form your cookies and then implant a few in the middle and enclose them with the dough, and then flatten them out to cookie shape.
- 5 oz. of caramels is around 1/2 cup chopped caramels.