My absolute favorite girl scout cookies are SAMOAS – that caramel, chocolate and coconut with the cookie layer – oh my lord. They are a hardcore cookie to say the least. Well these are the CLEAN AND SIMPLER version and have the base elements without all of the unnecessary work & guilt. The chocolate and coconut are fully present, the only player I subbed in was dates instead of the traditional caramel. They are delicious in every way and they definitely satiate that GS cookie urge. Just be warned, do not try the cookie dough… you will end up eating most of it prior to baking.
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 4 tbs coconut oil, melted
- 5 tbs unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tbs vanilla extract
- 4- 5 dates, pitted & chopped
- 1/3 cup mini dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients – oat flour, shredded coconut, sugar, baking powder & salt.
In a small bowl, mix the coconut oil, applesauce & vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix until incorporated. Fold in the dates and chocolate chips. Mixture will be sticky, so use a tbs or melon baller to scoop out the dough and place on the baking sheet.
Bake for 15 minutes or until just golden brown around the edges. Wait 10-15 minutes prior to serving. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Yields 18 cookies.
- Make sure the oat flour is gluten free if that is a priority to you.
- If you don’t have oat flour, you can make your own by grinding up oats in your food processor until they turn into a flour consistency.
- Brown sugar may replace the coconut sugar.