Always in the mood for sweet potato and Mexican. Such an ideal combination of sweet and spicy.
- 1 cup uncooked rice of choice
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded & diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (15 oz) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Optional Toppings: Shredded Mexi Blend cheese, scallions, sour cream, guacamole*
Cook rice as per instructions on package.
In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium high. Once hot, add the onion and bell pepper and saute until softens – about 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic until fragrant – about 30 seconds. Add the turkey, and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat until no longer pink – about 5-7 minutes. Mix in the tomatoes, chicken broth, sweet potatoes and season with the spices and salt and pepper to taste – adjust seasonings if you have a spicier palate. Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer. Allow to cook, uncovered, until sweet potato cubes are just fork tender – about 15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Yields 4 servings.
*Omit any optional cheeses and sour cream to make this dish Dairy Free.