This is just another incredible meal in under 30 minutes, that you just cannot pass up. Don’t skip the Worcestershire sauce – it gives it that sloppy joe feeling.
PREP TIME: 2 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 tbs chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 small flatbreads (I used Tandoori Naan)
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
In a deep large skillet, heat the oil. Cook the onion until translucent on medium high – for 2 minutes. Add the turkey and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Add the tomatoes, paste, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt to the skillet. Bring to a boil and lower heat to a simmer. Taste the sauce to adjust any seasonings, if needed. Cook for 10-15 minutes.
Place flatbreads on baking sheet. Add plenty of sauce to each flatbread and top with cheese. Place in oven on bottom tray for 5-10 minutes or until cheese has fully melted. Serves best warm.
Yields 4 servings.
- To make this vegetarian, try with beans instead of meat… just cook the sauce and add a can of pinto beans.
- These would also be great for a get-together… just slice them into strips and serve.
- You can also use the sloppy joe mixture to top quinoa or rice.