Really easy to make and will no doubt please. the sausage, peppers and rice combination is one of my favorites.
- 1.5 cups COOKED rice
- 4 bell peppers, sliced in half, lengthwise (stemmed & seeded)
- 1 tbs olive oil (+more later)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopeed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian pork sausage, casings removed
- 1.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Pour a 1/2 cup of the chicken broth in a rimmed (deep) baking dish and set aside.
- In a large, deep skillet, on medium high, heat 1 tbs olive oil. Cook the onion, zucchini and garlic until they soften and just start to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from pan.
- In the same skillet, heat 1 tsp oil and add the sausage. Using a wooden spoon, break up the meat until no longer pink – about 5-7 minutes. Drain the pan of any liquids when done.
- Add the onion-zucchini mix back to the pan with the sausage. Season with salt and pepper to taste (I used minimal salt since the sausage and broth add a nice amount of flavor). Add the 1 cup chicken broth to the pan and cook the mixture on low heat, stirring occasionally for about 3 minutes. Lastly, remove pan from heat and add the rice and grated Parmesan cheese, and mix to incorporate all.
- Fill each pepper halve heaping with the mixture. Place them in the prepped baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add shredded cheese on the tops of each. Place back in the oven for another 2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Yields 4-6 servings.