For those meatless Mondays – when you never know what to make. Spicy and sweet — just the way I like it.
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, rinsed & scrubbed
- 1 tbs coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1 (15 oz.) can fire roasted tomatoes (+1/4 cup water)
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- 1/2 cup light canned coconut milk
- 1 small bunch fresh parsley, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
Using a fork, poke holes all over each potato. Place on baking sheet and bake for 50-60 minutes, until tender.
In a deep skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and saute until translucent – about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds – until fragrant. Stir in the tomato paste, paprika, cumin, cayenne, cinnamon and salt and pepper to taste. Add the fire roasted tomatoes and 1/4 cup water, bring to a boil and then lower to simmer. Taste the sauce and adjust seasonings, if needed — add more cayenne if you like spicy. Allow to cook for 20 minutes. Next, add the chickpeas and stir in the coconut milk and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
When the sweet potatoes are done, slice them lengthwise and add the mixture to each. Top with parsley and serve.
Yields 4 servings.