I took my Southwestern Turkey Meatloaves recipe and added to it. So glad this happened. It’s got it all.
Pairs nicely with rice or quinoa.
- 1 cup pico de gallo (or salsa)
- 1 tbs brown sugar
- 2.5 small corn tortillas, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, fine chop
- 1 cup pinto beans, drained, rinsed & dried
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup shredded mexi blend cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped kalamata olives
Preheat oven to 425 F.
In a small sauce pan, combine the pico de gallo and sugar – cook over medium heat until it thicken – about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
In a large bowl – using your hands, combine the chopped tortillas, turkey, scallions, pepper, beans, chipotle powder, and salt and pepper to taste. Form 5 mini meatloaves. You may have to coat your hands with olive oil in order to handle the mixture — mine was sticky.
Heat the oil in a non stick, oven-safe skillet on medium high. Cook the loaves until browned – about 3-4 minutes per side. Spoon generous amount of the salsa mixture over each loaf, place skillet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, sprinkle with cheese and place back into oven for an additional 5 minutes. Garnish with chopped olives and serve.
- If you do not have chipotle powder, you can sub in cayenne pepper or chili powder.
- Any canned beans will do, I just prefer pinto.