I know, I know.. you’re thinking: enough already with the flourless muffins. How many times can you redress a recipe? <This is my fourth flourless muffin recipe in the past month — list below> The answer is quite clear: If something works extremely well, you tend to go back to it time and again. These are so simple to make – one bowl wonder – and the ingredients are things that I typically always have on hand.
As far as the taste is concerned, they are a chocolatey banana bread, fall off your chair, kind of muffin. EXTREMELY MOIST. You will become obsessed.
- 2 ripe medium bananas, mashed
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup heaping almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 3 tbs cacao powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375 F. I used muffin cups in a regular sized muffin tray of 12.
Mix everything in a large bowl (except the chips) until just combined. Fold the chips in last. Fill your muffin cups to 1/2 way to 3/4 way high. Optional: I used some extra chips for the tops as garnish.
Bake for 25 minutes. (If making mini muffins, bake for 12-15 minutes.)
Yields 12 regular sized muffins.
- If you are on a gluten free diet, make sure the oats you’re using are certified gluten free.
- The almond butter may be substituted for any smooth nut butter, i.e. peanut butter, cashew butter or sunflower seed butter.
- You can use any liquid sweetener; honey, maple syrup, agave nectar.
- You don’t have to purchase almond meal/flour. You can make some in your food processor by grinding up some almonds into a meal.