An incredibly delicious, low carb, easy tex mex dish. This came out perfect… taste, texture, everything.
Also try my LASAGNA STUFFED SPAGHETTI SQUASH – will knock you unconscious.
- 2 medium spaghetti squash
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeños, seeded & minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 (18 oz.) jar diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp ground chipotle powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1.5 tbs coconut sugar
- 1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans
- 1 cup frozen organic sweet corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice your squash in half, lengthwise. Remove all seeds. Coat the inside of each halve with 1 tbs olive oil combined. Season each with salt and pepper. Lay them face down on the baking sheet and bake for 45-50 minutes or until just tender.
In a large deep skillet, heat 1 tbs olive oil on medium high. Cook the onion and jalapeños until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the turkey and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat – cook until no longer pink, around 5-7 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and 1/4 cup water. Season with salt and pepper to taste, chipotle powder, cumin, oregano and sugar. Lower heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Taste sauce and adjust seasonings to your preference, if needed. Stir in the beans and corn and heat through – 3 more minutes. Remove from heat.
Once the squash is done, remove pan from oven, flip the squash over and stuff them with the turkey mixture. Top with cheese and place em back in the oven for 4 minutes or until cheese has melted. Top with cilantro and serve warm.
Yields 4 servings.
- Any beans will do, I just prefer pinto.
- If you cannot find chipotle powder, you can use the canned chipotle in adobo sauce – 1 tbs.
- You may also sub in a 15 oz. can of diced tomatoes for the 18 oz. jar I used.