So when my kitchen was being renovated, I became a very good customer of Chipotle’s, either getting this or the straight up burrito wrap. I must say that they were difficult giving up when I got my kitchen back up and running.
Even though this recipe may seem a bit stepy, alas, the result is better than its counterpart. This bowl will definitely make you second guess your next Chipotle run and give the famous restaurant a run for their money. The chicken seasonings and marinade is definitely one of my favorites. I use it on shrimp, scallops and chicken breasts ALL. THE. TIME.
I made my own guacamole but purchased the pico de gallo at Trader Joe’s to make my life a bit simpler.
Also, you can use quinoa or regular white rice – it’s all a matter of preference.
Finally, I skipped the shredded cheese not by choice — I completely forgot to add it. It’s usually standard for me.
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- sea salt to taste
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 lb chicken breasts, cubed
- 1.5 tbs soy sauce
- 1.5 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 cup organic frozen corn, warmed
- 1 (14.5 oz) can black beans, warmed
- 1 cup pico de gallo
- Follow the package instructions for cooking the rice and season with salt to taste. When rice is cooked, transfer to a tupper, mix in the lime juice and cilantro. Fluff rice and set aside.
- Place cubed chicken in a tupper. Mix the soy sauce, oil and honey. Pour over the chicken and mix to coat. Mix the chipotle chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, pepper and oregano and sprinkle over the chicken. Toss to coat.
- Heat a large skillet on medium high heat. Add the chicken and all of sauce/mixture to the skillet and cook, about 3 minutes on each side, or until cooked through.
- Remove from pan and chop into small peices.
Assemble with layering the rice on the bottom, then the beans, next the chicken, the corn, the pico and finally the guacamole on top.
Yields 4 servings.