I had 3 ingredients in my fridge which I HAD to consume today; they were right on the cusp of going bad. Those 3 ingredients obviously consisted of chicken, sweet potatoes & bell peppers. Thus this deliciousness was born. You see, the problem I have is that I just can’t help myself at the market. I see food, and I have to buy it, with the preconception that I will absolutely need it at some point in the next couple of days. Everytime I throw out food that goes bad though, I swear never to buy ingredients unless I have a set forth purpose for them. I HATE throwing out food. It hurts inside.
Getting back to this dish. I love everything about it. Again, another quick, scrumptious, healthy meal. And any way I can incorporate sweet potatoes into my food – I am a very happy camper.
- 3 bell peppers, halved & seeded
- 1/2 cup chicken broth (+more)
- 1 tbs olive oil (+ more later)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled & cubed
- garlic powder, salt & ground pepper
- 1 lb chicken breasts, sliced into strips
- bread crumb
- shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Pour 1/2 cup chicken broth into your baking dish and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbs olive oil in a large skillet on medium high. When hot, add the garlic, and onion and saute for a few minutes. Add the sweet potato cubes and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until sweet potato is just fork tender – about 10 minutes. You don’t want to over cook it because then you will have mashed potatoes. Remove mixture from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan/skillet heat 1 tsp olive oil. Season chicken strips with garlic powder and salt. Cook chicken for about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked through. Add the chicken and a heavy splash of chicken broth to the sweet potato and mix.
- Fill each bell pepper halve with the chicken-sweet potato mix. You may have leftovers – thats okay. You can still eat it on its own.
- Top each pepper with some breadcrumb and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and top with some shredded cheese. Place back in oven for 1-2 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Yields 4 servings.