The best Italian dish you can create – healthy and so delicious. A wonderful spin on a classice Italian dish. I paired mine with some whole wheat pasta, but also goes well with sautéed spinach or sautéed zucchini noodles, sauce and cheese.
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/2 small onion, fine chop
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup marinara sauce (+more later)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- salt to taste
- 4 oz fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced
Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, combine first 10 ingredients using your hands, until all are fully incorporated. Form your meatballs – I had to coat my hands with olive oil because my mixture was sticky. Place on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, add about 1 tsp marinara sauce to each meatball and a small piece of fresh mozzarella. Place back into oven for about 5 minutes or until cheese has melted.
Yields 4 servings.
- You can also fry them in a skillet with some olive oil — about 5-7 minutes per side on medium low heat.
- I bought my marinara sauce at Trader Joe’s – organic in a glass jar.
- Any ground meat will work with this recipe.
- Add more chili flakes if you like the kick.