Definitely an ideal treat … if your into coffee caramel crunchy greatness.
- 1.5 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup gluten free flour*
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (melted & cooled)
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg, room temp.
- 1.5 tsp espresso powder
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the Caramel Coffee Glaze:
- 1 tbs milk of your choice
- 1/2 tsp espresso powder
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 350 F. Line an 8×8″ brownie pan with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the oats, flour, 1/4 cup pecans, baking soda, and salt.
In a separate bowl, mix the oil, sugar, egg, espresso powder and vanilla. Add the dry mixture to the wet gradually until fully combined.
Transfer half of the oat mixture to the prepared baking pan. Press down using your fingers to form even layer.
For the Glaze: heat the milk until very hot. Remove from heat and mix in the espresso powder until fully dissolved. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the powdered sugar until smooth.
Transfer coffee glaze to the pan and spread out with a rubber spatula or spoon. Finally, top with the reserved oat mixture and the remaining 1/4 cup of the pecans.
Bake for 20 -25 minutes max. Do not over bake. Allow to cool in pan for 20 minutes. Remove and slice.
OPTIONAL: I added some extra caramel coffee drizzle for aesthetic purposes.
- Recipe adapted from a Better Homes & Garden magazine.
- You may use regular all purpose flour in place of the gluten free.
- If you follow a strict gluten free diet, make sure your oats are gluten free.
- You can sub in unsalted butter or shortening for the coconut oil.
- Any sugar will work.
- I got my espresso powder from Trader Joes – you can also use instant coffee crystals.